Admitted Freshman FAQ

A big congratulations on your admission to Illinois! Your Notice of Admission packet and Admitted Student Checklist within myIllini should help guide you through your next steps as an admitted student, but if you have any more questions, you’ll hopefully find all your answers here.

When will I find out if I’m being offered any scholarships, honors, or need-based aid?

Your application for admission is used to determine your eligibility for all merit-based scholarships and honors awarded through us. These will be awarded after admission notification but no later than March 1.

You may also submit the Office of Student Financial Aid's supplemental application for merit and need-based scholarships. Need-based aid requires submission of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you haven’t submitted your FAFSA yet, do so as soon as possible. If you submit it before March 15, you should receive notification via email between mid-March and mid-April. You can also check your financial aid status online.

For more information, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid at 217-333-0100.

Can I make a change to my schedule after being admitted?

Your admission was, in part, based on your schedule. Therefore, we’ll only approve drops in your schedule for medical reasons or extenuating circumstances. You can change your schedule, but the change must be to a comparable level course (e.g., AP for AP, honors for honors, etc.).

Don't make any changes to your schedule unless you've received approval from our office. Any request for a schedule change must be submitted through myIllini. When we review final transcripts, we check final grades as well as schedule changes. An unauthorized schedule change or extreme drop in grades could jeopardize your admission.

I'm admitted, but I'd like to change my major now. Is this possible?

Yes, it's possible, but it's not always in your best interest. Contact our office to discuss your request before submitting our Change Request Form in myIllini.

Early Action applicants who submit the form prior to our second notification date will receive a decision then. If you're denied from the new major, you're not guaranteed admission back into your original major as you're now considered a late applicant. If you've been awarded scholarships or invited to join an honors program, those awards may be affected as well.

If you choose to attend Illinois under the major to which you have been admitted, you’ll be able to speak with your academic advisor about your educational goals during your summer registration. You may have to meet certain coursework and GPA requirements before transferring to another program.

Where do I send my Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) credit?

AP test scores must be sent from CollegeBoard electronically and should be sent to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. IB test scores must be sent directly to Measurement and Evaluation: Room 247 Armory, MC-528 505 East Armory Avenue, Champaign, IL 61820.

It may be helpful for you to bring a copy of your AP or IB test scores to Summer Registration. This will let academic advisors know what credits you’ve earned.

Will I have an opportunity to take a proficiency test to earn college credit?

Yes, proficiency tests are offered in most subject areas. You must sign up for the proficiency exam through the specific academic department. Proficiency tests are usually offered a few times each semester. The first opportunity for you to take a proficiency test will be during the first week of class.

Do I need to send my final transcripts?

Yes. Your admission decision is contingent on successful completion of any courses in progress or that you planned to take prior to entry to Illinois, as well as the accurate self-reporting of your courses and grades. You should have your final high school transcripts sent to us by July 10. Transcripts from any post-secondary institutions that you may have attended during high school or after high school graduation must also be sent to our office.

When do you need my transcripts for college courses I took in high school?

After completing all college courses, send us the official transcripts directly from your college. Your credit hours and grades will be added to your Illinois record once you start attending classes in the fall.

What does it mean if I wasn't admitted to my first-choice major? Can I eventually transfer to that program once I'm on campus?

You were strongly considered for your first choice; however, we simply didn’t have room for all qualified applicants. You’re still considered wait listed for your first choice. If space becomes available in this major later on, we’ll let you know even if you’ve declined your offer.

We strongly encourage you to stick with the major you were admitted into after enrolling at Illinois. If you’re interested in transferring to another program, we recommend you work with your academic advisor to learn the requirements and timeline needed to do so. If you were admitted into the Division of General Studies (DGS), you'll work with an advisor to craft a unique schedule and declare a major before your junior year. More information is included within your Notice of Admission letter.

Can I double major or add a minor?

If you’d like to double major or add a minor, you’ll need to speak with your advisor at Summer Registration. He or she will be able to instruct you on how to proceed.

When is the deadline for accepting my offer of admission?

You should accept your offer of admission online by May 1 (or within 2 weeks if you receive your Notice of Admission packet after April 15). The sooner you accept your offer of admission, the sooner you can sign up for Summer Registration, submit your housing request, and more.

Is an enrollment fee required to accept my offer of admission?

Yes, you must submit a $150 nonrefundable enrollment fee when accepting your offer of admission. Your acceptance won’t be official until you submit this fee. You may use a credit or debit card when paying the fee. If you submitted a fee waiver form with your application, the enrollment fee will be waived.

What do I do if I’m unable to claim my NetID?

You must be admitted in order to claim your NetID. If you’re having difficulty claiming your NetID, contact Technology Services at 217-244-7000 for further assistance.

How do I apply for University Housing, and how are residence hall assignments made?

Visit Housing's website to learn how to apply. We encourage you to meet our priority deadline of May 15. If we receive your contract by this date, we'll assign you a time slot. When your time slot arrives, you'll choose a space from available rooms across campus, as well as a meal plan. If you submit your contract after May 15, we'll select a room and roommate for you based on the preferences you provide.

When will I find out the hall I’ve been assigned to and my roommate’s contact information?

You’ll receive a notice in late June that confirms your room selection and provides the name of your roommate.

How do I cancel my admission and housing?

You can cancel the offer of admission online or you can submit a letter requesting to cancel your admission to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The $150 enrollment fee is nonrefundable.

If you’ve signed up for housing, you’ll also need to notify our Housing Information Office.

When will I receive the first tuition bill for the fall semester?

Your first tuition bill will arrive electronically to your university email address in September. Any financial aid is generally dispersed the week before the start of classes. For information regarding billing, payment due dates, and payment options, visit the USFSCO website.

Does Illinois offer a payment plan for tuition and fee costs?

We provide an optional payment plan that allows you to spread payment of anticipated tuition, mandatory fees, room, and board expenses.

I currently live out of state. When am I eligible for in-state tuition?

We use your parents’ residence to determine residency. If your parent or parents move to Illinois, you can become a resident at the beginning of the next term following the move. If you’re legally emancipated from your parents or independent, you must reside in the state of Illinois for 1 year for non-educational purposes before being eligible for in-state tuition.