Admitted International FAQ

A big congratulations on your admission to UIUC! Your Admitted Student Checklist within myIllini should help guide you through your next steps as an admitted student, but if you have any more questions, you’ll hopefully find all your answers here.


You can read more about this process on our student visa page.

If you are currently studying on a J-1 or F-1 visa, yes, you will need to submit an I-20 application. You can do so through your myIllini account. If you are on a visa type other than an F-1 or J-1, contact our office so we can advise you accordingly.

You must arrive on campus by the start date listed on your I-20 or DS-2019. You can also enter the U.S. up to 30 days before your program start date.

Official check-in dates and instructions can be found on the International Student Scholar Services website.

Our Intensive English Institute can provide you with instruction to improve your English language skills in an academic setting. You can learn more about the program and its cost by visiting their website.

Official test scores must be sent directly from the testing agency. In addition, you must provide official academic records for all years of school you reported in the application for years 9 to 12, including official copies of all school certificates and external exam results. To be considered official, documents must be mailed directly from the issuing institution or testing authority and submitted to our office in a sealed envelope. You can view the documents for your country on our required documents page.