Admitted International Students

As an international student, you need to do a few more things in addition to our typical steps before you attend.

international flags

Obtain your student visa.

Generally, if you're a citizen of a foreign country interested in studying in the U.S., you must have a student visa.

Verify your enrollment.

If you're a freshman, you must provide official academic records for all years of school you reported in the application, including official copies of all school certificates and external exam results. If we don’t receive these by July 1 or if we find discrepancies, we’ll rescind your offer and you won’t be able to enroll.

Records are considered official if the issuing institution sends them directly to us or if they're certified as true copies by an official of the educational institution, an embassy official, or an appropriate government official. Records not issued in English must be accompanied by an English translation that's certified by an appropriate school official, certified translator, or U.S. embassy or consulate official.

Check in before classes start.

Regardless of visa status, all international undergraduate and exchange students must report to International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) for check-in before classes start. Note that if you can’t arrive and check in by the dates listed, you need to reapply for a later term.

Get to campus early.

Through our Transitions to Illinois program, you can come to Illinois before classes begin to improve your English skills, receive campus knowledge, and gain social experiences that will help ensure a successful freshman year.