Transfer Application Process

We make
applying easy.

Complete your application.

You'll choose a major, write an essay, and list your extracurriculars, work experience, honors, and awards. Note that we'll also use your application to determine admission into campus honors programs and award merit-based scholarships.

Apply now

transfer student applying on a computer

Pay the application fee.

When you submit your application, you'll pay a nonrefundable fee by credit card or check. If you're a domestic student who qualifies for a fee waiver, your counselor or current institution’s financial aid office must submit our fee waiver form. If you’re a student at the University of Illinois at Chicago or Springfield, you don’t need to submit a fee.

$50 Domestic

$75 International

Send us your transcripts.

We need official transcripts from all colleges or universities you've attended. We also need a final, official transcript from your high school or your official GED results to confirm you’ve graduated. When you apply, ask that these institutions send your official transcripts directly to our office.

Submit your test scores.

If you have fewer than 30 graded transferable semester hours of college coursework when you apply, standardized test scores are required for admission review. We also highly recommend that you submit test scores if you have 30 to 59 graded credit hours. Either ACT or SAT I scores are accepted. Official test scores must be sent directly from the testing agency; we don't accept copies of student score reports.

ACT Code: 1154

SAT I Code: 1836

Prove your English proficiency.

You must meet 1 of the following conditions to satisfy our minimum English proficiency requirement. In many cases, the standards needed to gain admission will be much higher, so it’s worth submitting all test scores showing a high level of English competency, especially if you don’t meet the ACT or SAT minimums. These scores must be dated within 2 years of your enrollment at Illinois.

  • Complete all secondary (years 9 through 12) and post-secondary schooling in Australia, Canada (excluding Quebec), certain Caribbean countries, Great Britain, Ireland, New Zealand, or the United States (excluding Puerto Rico).
  • Score at least 25 on the English portion of the ACT or 550 on the Critical Reading portion of the SAT I. Scores from the redesigned SAT released in spring 2016 will be reviewed on an individual basis.
  • Score a minimum of 80 on the Internet-based (iBT) Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL; code 1836). The Colleges of Business, Engineering, and Media require a minimum total score of 100 iBT.
  • Score a minimum total of 6.5 on the International English Testing System (IELTS), with a minimum score of 6 on all 4 modules. For Business, Engineering, and Media, the minimum total is 7.5, with a minimum score of 7 on all 4 modules.

Special Cases

Depending on your background or the major you're applying to, you may have just a few more things to do.

international students smiling for the camera

International Applicants

You'll need to follow these additional steps during the application process.

Illinois students making art on the Quad

Art + Design Applicants

You also need to submit a portfolio. More information is available through the School of Art and Design or by calling 217-333-6632.

dancers making sweet movements through space and time

Dance Applicants

You also need to complete an audition. More information is available through the Department of Dance or by calling 217-333-1010.

a generic photo of a piano

Music Applicants

You also need to complete a music application and audition or interview. More information is available through the School of Music or by calling 217-244-7899.

an actor mid dramatic scene

Theatre Applicants

You also need to interview and complete an audition or portfolio review. More information is available through the Department of Theatre or by calling 217-333-2371.

student teacher at the blackboard

Teacher Education Applicants

TAP Code: 052

You also need to pass the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP). When registering for the test, ask that your results be reported to us. We must receive them by the time you apply. In some instances, an ACT Plus Writing or SAT score can be used in lieu of a passing score on the TAP.

social worker

Social Work Applicants

You also need to complete a Bachelor of Social Work Application.

Check your status.

Once you’ve submitted your application, check its status by clicking on your application in myIllini. Make sure your personal information is correct and you report any errors to us. If you need to make a change, submit the necessary Change Request Form in myIllini.